The John B. Pierce Laboratory recognizes and values the importance of diversity and inclusion in enriching the employment experience of its employees and in supporting the academic mission. We strive to create an inclusive community of faculty, staff, and students whose voices and contributions are valued and respected.
The Pierce Laboratory seeks employees who support the research, and public service mission of the laboratory. The John B. Pierce Laboratory is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law. To learn more about diversity at the John B. Pierce Laboratory: http://jbpierce.org/diversity-committee/
ACCOUNTING/BUSINESS MANAGER Job Code: HR01
A full-time Accounting/Business Manager position is available at The John B. Pierce Laboratory, a vibrant nonprofit scientific research institute affiliated with Yale University and located adjacent to the Yale School of Medicine campus. We are seeking a highly motivated individual with excellent organizational, leadership, and accounting skills to handle the daily management of the business office, and to interface with members of the business office/human resources team. This position reports to the Director of the Laboratory and will be responsible for supervising and managing the accounting team and all areas of financial reporting. They will develop and maintain accounting principles, best practices, and systems for collecting, analyzing, and reporting information. They will create and advise on budgets, financial strategy, financial reporting, and forecasting, with a wide scope of responsibilities. Must have a strong understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
The Pierce Laboratory offers a competitive salary and provides excellent benefits: employer paid medical and dental insurance, term life insurance, long-term disability insurance, an employer-shared TIAA-CREF retirement plan, generous vacation, personal time, sick leave, and free parking.
- Handles all financial functions including accounts payable (AP), purchase orders, general ledger, payroll (PR), reconciliations, and related reporting. Monitors cash requirements and reviews bank statements.
- Prepares accurate and timely quarterly financial statements for the Board of Directors and revenue and expense analysis including: budget, prior year, and trend variances. This position drives all aspects of planning associated with the biannual Board of Directors’ meetings and attends and presents at meetings.
- Reviews endowment activity and prepares reports.
- Leads annual audit. Prepares, reviews, and files electronically federal/state monthly, quarterly, and annual reports (e.g., forms 941, 990, 1099, 5500, etc.) with accuracy and timeliness.
- Contributes accounting information and recommendations to strategic plans and reviews; resolving problems; identifying trends; determining system improvements; and implementing change in consultation with the Director.
- Meets accounting financial objectives by developing and analyzing yearly forecasts, preparing annual non-grant budgets, monitoring expenditures, analyzing variances, and initiating corrective actions and cost saving recommendations.
- Maintains financial security by establishing and defining internal controls and accounting policies and procedures.
- Ensures adherence to legal compliance requirements by keeping up to date with current and proposed legislation, enforcing accounting regulations, and recommending new procedures based on any proposed changes in current legislation.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities, reading professional publications, maintaining personal networks, and participating in professional organizations.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in accounting or finance and minimum of four years of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strong understanding and application of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Experience with financial reporting requirements; fund accounting, preparation and analysis of financial statements and budgets, accounts payable, payroll, federal and state tax reporting, fixed assets/depreciation, account analysis, and full-accrual accounting processes.
- Strong computer skills with EXCEL and Word. Experience with Oracle NetSuite and non-profit grant fund accounting desirable. Ability to quickly learn and train on various software packages. Familiarity with WEB applications (e.g., brokerage statements, banking, TIAA).
- Ability to multitask and meet numerous internal and external deadlines.
Please send resume and cover letter with a brief statement of experience and interest to HR@jbpierce.org
POST-DOCTORAL RESEARCH ASSOCIATE Job Code: VP013
A full-time position is available for a Postdoctoral Research Associate in the laboratory of Dr. Vincent Pieribone at the John B. Pierce Laboratory (http://jbpierce.org/research-laboratory/cellular-neurophysiology/), a nonprofit research institute affiliated with Yale University.
The Pieribone lab is developing and using state-of-the-art genetically encoded fluorescent voltage indicators for recording neuronal activity.
Candidates should hold a PhD in the field of Neuroscience and have an interest in systems neuroscience and the application of optical methods to study neuronal activity. Techniques used include electrophysiology, behavior, optical imaging using 2P and 1P microscopy, molecular cloning, protein expression and purification, protein engineering, and biochemistry. Applicants are expected to be able to design and execute independent research projects.
A coterminous postdoctoral appointment is available in the Department of Cellular and Molecular Physiology in the Yale School of Medicine. The John B. Pierce Laboratory offers excellent benefits with employer paid health insurance and free parking.
Please submit a single PDF file to NeurosciPD@jbpierce.org including:
1) A cover letter with a (brief) statement of research experience and interest, 2) Curriculum Vitae, and 3) A list of three references.
POST-DOCTORAL ASSOCIATE Job Code: JV003
Optical imaging and optogenetics of the mouse olfactory bulb during virtual odor navigation
A postdoctoral position is available in the laboratory of Dr. Justus Verhagen at the John B. Pierce Laboratory, a nonprofit research institute affiliated with Yale University. The position is supported by a large collaborative NSF research project to elucidate the neurobiological basis odor source localization in transgenic mice. The project uses optical imaging and optogenetics of the olfactory bulb in a virtual odor navigation task to further our understanding of how animals navigate to odor sources.
Candidates should be a new or recent PhD working in neuroscience or a related discipline, proficient in spoken and written English, efficient and self-motivated, and work well in a team environment. Prior experience with rodent behavior, imaging and surgery, Matlab, and the chemical senses is preferred.
A coterminous postdoctoral appointment in the Department of Neuroscience in the Yale School of Medicine is anticipated. The John B. Pierce Laboratory offers competitive salary and excellent benefits with employer paid health insurance and free parking.
Please send application with C.V., contact information for three references, and statement of interests to firstname.lastname@example.org. Anticipated start date of October 2020.