Pierce Laboratory scientists frequently conduct research that depends upon the participation of human participants. All such studies are approved by the Human Investigation Committee of the relevant Yale University biomedical institutional review board. Below are the titles, brief descriptions, and compensation rates of research studies that are currently underway for which participants are being recruited.
Participation is by appointment only and is subject to inclusion and exclusion criteria that are specific to the objectives and design of each study. To learn more about a study and to inquire about participation, please contact the study coordinator or research assistant via the indicated email address.
Food and Flavor Research Study
The John B. Pierce Laboratory and Yale University are recruiting participants for studies of taste and smell.
You must be 18 – 45 years old and a nonsmoker to participate.
Earn up to $552
Participants may be asked to:
- Consume beverages and foods
- Make judgments about food, tastes, and smells
- Complete questionnaires, computer tasks, blood draws and fMRI scans
Participants wanted for studies in taste perception:
We will be testing the intensity of basic taste qualities, such as sweet, salty, sour, bitter and umami.
The study involves sampling solution in the mouth or with the tongue tip. The solutions do not contain any harmful substances.
The experiments may include multiple sessions that are approximately 25-35 min. Earn up to $60 You must meet the following criteria for our study:
• I am between 18 and 45.
• I speak English fluently.
• I am a non-smoker.
• I am in good general health.
• I have no deficits of smell or taste.
• I am not pregnant.
• I am not taking any prescription pain medication.
• I do not have any tongue, cheek or lip piercings. If you are interested in participating please contact (203) 562-9901 x 220 or firstname.lastname@example.org